Monday, July 26, 2010

Growing up with a Star



Gloria is the first born of the Torlai family. She was theatrical and at a very early age sang on the radio on a program called, "Uncle Frank's Children's Hour"


Frog-like near the old Silvertone
I stare at the pictureless box
hoping the warmth
of the coal and wood stove
will reach the icy tile
beneath my pinafore


Gloria also took dancing lessons and was often creating shows featuring Gloria. She would say, "I'll be the star, and you all dance around me."

I wrote several pages about the experience but settled for the following.


The Attic Dancers

Four sisters
in an attic theatre,
ragged chenile
for a curtain
apple boxes
for a stage
play
to a paper audience.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe I didn't comment on this earlier, given my love for that super adorable Gloria! She hasn't changed much, has she! She and my Aunt Pauline were in the Mikado together at Seattle U. I miss her liveliness lots in the choir.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I attended every musical I must've seen your Aunt Pauline. They were so good.

    ReplyDelete