Saturday, October 22, 2011

MacKenzie Acres






In 1957 Joe and I purchased the land where we now preside. Joe was out of work at the time, common in the sheet metal trade, and spent many hours  driving around with a real estate agent.  As soon as I viewed  the property I knew we should go for it.  You really couldn't see much of the land as it was covered with evergreens. That was a plus for me. We were very young and probably foolish in many ways, but we made a smart buy. We had our home built on the property in 1963.

Today I'm feeling especially good. while  I heard a noise near the bird feeder. A chickadee was caught inside flapping its wings in desperation. I lifted the lid of the feeder and it was free.

I thought about how fortunate we were to have so much nature as part of our family.
I listened to the tree frogs, birds and looked around to see if the deer were back in the field.
In the back yard I stumbled on the uneven ground engineered by the moles (it can't all be good).

We have seen coyote, raccoon, pheasant, opossum (hanging from a tree), heard a bobcat in the woods and a variety of winged creatures including bats and flying squirrels. We hear owls and occasionally have a sighting.
Lots of mushrooms are visible now. If only I was an expert.
I took a few photos of the color on our property.

No comments:

Post a Comment