Monday, October 1, 2012

Discovery

 Years ago, there was a lovely catalpha tree in a neighbors yard. I could see it from the kitchen window. It was such an interesting tree. After flowering, long pods, filled of seeds, hung from the branches.
 One day while on a  a walk I spotted another catalpha  in a different yard.
There were seed pods on the ground so I helped myself to a couple, and planted them in the wooded area of our side yard. Since then, both  neighbors trees have been cut down. 
 Periodically,  I check to see if the seeds I planted sprouted, but no luck.

Yesterday, while checking out our neglected yard, I noticed  leaves that looked like those of a catalpha tree.  I got very excited and decided to investigate.  I checked it out in my garden book.
Lo and behold, we have a catalpha tree. The area where it is growing, has a variety of trees, butterfly bush,  plus pesky Himalayan blackberries.
The catalpha tree will have to fight for space to grow.

I'll be watching.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new tree! I had to look catalpa up, and they are very nice and flowery! I want one too. Yay! It's spider season. I saw lots of webs this morning. They are abounding in my yard. I like to see them and leave them alone as long as they don't try to get into my bed. That would be going too far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Would not like to sleep with a spider...although Spiderman is pretty cute.

    About the tree. If it ever has pods I'll save some for you. I looked yesterday and so far, just leaves.

    ReplyDelete