Sunday, August 3, 2014

What constitutes a successful marriage?


Since Joe and I will be married 60 years on Nov. 25, we are suddenly considered experts on the subject of marriage and how to make it work. This leads people to ask for advice.

First of all, I have no idea.

But I could venture a guess or two.

1.  There is a lot of luck involved. I remember praying  that I would choose the right man.
     I'm sure many people prayed and ended up with a mismatch. So I still think luck plays a part.

2.  Similar values and goals. 

3. You like each other...enjoy each others company.

4. Kindness, understanding,  patience and forgiveness.

5. Don't force a conversation when one is upset. wait until things settle down.

6. Of course love. but you can love someone and still not be happy married to him or her.

7. Never go to bed angry.

8.  I  think the  best advice would be, " Don't expect perfection. It is not going to happen".

2 comments: