Thursday, December 5, 2013

Pasta Sauce Nonna Style

I decided to try to duplicate the color of my Grandmothers sauce. I remember it being reddish orange. I would watch her put fresh spinach from her garden in the meat grinder. I thought maybe that would do it. I don't put meat in mine so that would change the color a bit.
Also, I was cleaning out the freezer so I found red, yellow, orange peppers, pesto, oven roasted garlic and cherry tomatoes. All in the blender and into the pot. Then my mind began to work...always dangerous. Should I add the leftover hummus with pine nuts? Why not. Into the blender. Better use up the onion and fresh basil.  Blender again. Sauce is still green. What to do...cherry tomato, can of Italian chopped toms...on and on until I almost have the color I remember. I forgot to mention that I now have two huge pots of sauce.  I made a lasagna for freezer, a gluten free pasta for freezer and still have way too much sauce. I'll need some for the filled shells but not that much. Oh well, it is all in the freezer now, packed in sensible sized containers. Let's hope the power stays on...oh wait,we have a generator!

                                     This is a lot of sauce!
                      The first layer of lasagna dish.

4 comments:

  1. That is a lot of sauce. How did it taste with all those ingredients in it? Yummy, I'll wager.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is actually good. I also put a few leftover sugar peas in the blender. It reminds me of when we had a garden & Joe was not much for veggies so everything including edible weeds went in the blender. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had leftover carrot mush from my cookies, so I put it in my morning smoothie, and it was pretty tasty. I had beets too, but decided to just eat them.

      Delete