Saturday, October 2, 2010

How Aunt Blanche Met Uncle Bud

"Bud and I met at a house party (dance).  He asked me how I learned to dance.  I thought to myself, City Slicker!
We saw each other again at Earlington Dance Hall.  Mary Weber (neighbor) wanted to be Bud's partner for the prize dance. Mary pushed me out on the floor to dance with Mike Klepach  (another neighbor).  We all changed partners and when I was dancing with Bud, the judge said, "Stop the music, we have our winners." "

Blanche and Bud went on to win many dance contests e.g. Fox Trot contest on floating dance ship at Golden Gardens and were Renton Junction dance champions.
I asked Aunt Blanche if she watched "Dancing With The Stars".  Her answer." Bud and I were better."

Bud had various jobs. He traveled around to different fairs with his ponies.  Blanche  sold tickets for rides on the Shetland ponies.  Bud used to round up wild horses in Yakima.,take them through the Yakima river. He sold the horses.

.Later on in their marriage, Bud built their home.

Aunt Blanche loved motorcycles. Mike Albenesa (friend) would bring over his Harley Davidson for her to see. It wouldn't surprise me if she rode it.

Aunt Blanche loved to dance. They would dance from 2:00p.m. in the afternoon until 7:00a.m., then take the 35 cent round trip ride from Earlington to Seattle to work at the macaroni factory. Blanche would put her name in the macaroni boxes and servicemen  (WWI) would write to her. Two soldiers showed up at the factory so Blanche brought them home to Nonna's ( This was before Bud). They slept in the barn. I'm sure Nonna cooked them a good meal and Nonno supplied some of his home made wine.

When did they sleep?

2 comments:

  1. This is puzzling but still interesting and this was her story.
    It raises many questions...when did she sleep.....when did she work. Maybe the dancing was on the weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There were plenty of times in my late teens/early 20s when I went out dancing all night and then straight to work on zero sleep. Ah, youth. I always knew Blanche and I were kindred spirits. ��

    ReplyDelete