Sunday, October 31, 2010

Our Mom & Pop Grocery Store

When I was a child we had a grocery store in our home.
One of my clearest memories was of the curtain  between the kitchen and the entry to the store. If you pulled the curtain aside you were able to see glass cases filled with dishes of candy.  I still have some of the  dishes.
Mom waited on the customers while Dad worked at Bemis Bag Company.  Dad trusted  the neighbors and let them charge everything. In those days a handshake was all you needed.
I remember seeing packaged butterhorns from the bakery. ( You notice everything I remember is made of sugar).
Mom had a problem with her leg and had to be hospitalized for a short period of time. While she was gone, Dad closed the store and changed the room  into a living room.
Later on Mom said she wanted a piano. Dad said yes, and it didn't take her long to buy one.
My Uncle Ernie (Mom's brother) was a pianist & also tuned our piano. I remember listening to him tune the piano.   It was much more fun listening to him play.

The children in the photo..From left to right.. Martha .... Judy..... Barbara     

2 comments:

  1. Cute picture of cute kiddies. Your little dress is very attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou so much. I'm sure it was passed down from sister to sister.

    ReplyDelete