Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Annual Visit From Mr. & Mrs. Pigeon

It pays to glance out the window. This morning I saw this gigantic bird.  Not really that large but compared to the chickadees etc. it looked huge.  I  asked Joe to take a photo since I was way too excited. There were two pigeons but Joe could only find one. I assume they were a couple as one looked a little smaller.
Could be just friends or Mr. and Mr.

It was a band tailed pigeon.  Every year when the elderberries are ripe they enter the woods. This time they landed in the front yard on a cedar tree. The upper portion of the tree has been dead for a few years. We keep saying we should cut the dead limbs off but it seems they serve a purpose.

It is interesting that they seem to know when to come. The berries are not quite ready. I'm sure they'll be back.

1 comment: