Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Let it snow!

We had a little snow this morning which is always a pleasant experience. Just enough to be beautiful.

One of my memories of snow was at the Pike Place Market. My dad had a stall (third from Pike street)
where I worked after classes at Immaculate High School.
The snow piled up on the eggs which caused my Dad to do the unthinkable, close shop. In those days all that protected the stalls from the elements was a canvas curtain. Not enough in this storm.
Dad still had to make deliveries so we(my sister Judy also attended Immaculate) were dropped off at my Grandmother's in Georgetown. We were freezing from the cold and were hoping for a bowl of soup.Even Nonna's soup which consisted of a carrot floating around in broth.
Nonna was not a great cook but she always had soda pop. This was usually a treat, since it was not allowed in our house.
 She brought out pop from her porch. It was frozen on top, so she set it on the coal and wood stove  (shelf above) to thaw. Oh the yum of it all!






2 comments:

  1. A great story! I am a little worried about the cans on my porch right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you should cover them with an old blanket.

      Delete