Wednesday, January 30, 2013

This is not my fault!

It is becoming more and more difficult to toss out the old memories.
Recently, my old  pen pal sent back all the letters I had written to him. I can't believe he saved them for 60 years. I had already tossed most of his.
I saved a couple that were written after Joe & I (we were engaged) met he and his fiance.  He was very complimentary and at my age I need a few of those vitamins.
Reading the letters is like re-living my late teen age years. 

I have always maintained that I had only friendly feelings toward Richard. This is true.
However, after reading some of my letters, I can see where he may have misunderstood
the situation. It's not what I said but the way that I said it. ( Sounds like a song title)
I talk about music classes at Seattle University, the trio I started with my sister Barbara and cousin Betty,
the fantastic talent of both sisters, Barbara and Gloria, what performances we attended, including plays, musicals and the Aqua Theatre.
Some of the sweeter moments are comments about my little brother Joe.
I do talk about meeting Joe and plans to marry him so I did have my  serious moments.
Prior to the time I met Joe, most of the letters were silly.
At the time I wanted to be either a stand-up comedian or a private detective!

I have to decide whether  our children would enjoy reading them when I have departed....
When I read them, I have to laugh at some of my comments and maybe the family would enjoy reading them.

I think I'll save them. Then they will have the option to read or toss and I will be none the wiser.

Case closed.


6 comments:

  1. when my mother died, I found my letters from Ireland among her things, and I really enjoyed reading them. They were like a little journal, and as you say, held many fun memories. Don't toss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boo, I want to read them now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really, you will probably be bored. They are quite silly and my penmanship is horrible so hard to decipher.

      Delete
  3. Oh, my gosh; do not toss any letters! After getting a taste from the one you posted, I totally want to read them. I see the genesis of Elizabeth's wonderful mixture of wit, silliness, and sincerity. But what a tease you were! I think I'll go eat some huevos and see if a sailor wants to steal me away to Mexico . . . (as long as James could come, too).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just reading this replay Now and realizing it is Meagan

      Delete