Sunday, August 1, 2010

COLORS OF THE MARKET



Heads wrapped in colorful scarves, Italian women worked the market stalls speaking their native language with words and gestures.

Angelina always kept her hand behind her back. One day I noticed it was a hook. I wondered how she lost her hand but never asked. In spite of her stern manner, I found her to be kind.

Inter-racial marriage was not common in Renton, where I lived, but several farmers in the market were Filipino/Caucasian. It was a learning experience.

Spanish sailors came to our stall to buy eggs for the ship. I said a few words in Spanish and they assumed I spoke their language. They brought out family photos and began to tell me their family history. It was interesting. It would've been really interesting if I actually understood.

Our customers included bank presidents, ladies of the evening, female impersonators, ordinary and extraordinary persons.

A man without legs wheeled himself through the market using his arms. He was on a board with skating wheels.

We had a very pretty customer who had a long hair on her chest. I wonder if she was a he.

One of our customers had been in a concentration camp. She was very quiet and ill at ease.

I realize some of this information is being repeated. Worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment