Thursday, August 19, 2010

TWENTY MILES FROM HOME


My husband Joe and I were on our way to Marymere Falls on the Olympic Peninsula when our car quit. After probing under the hood, Joe made an announcement. "We'll have to hitch-hike back to the campground and get the motor-home so we can tow the car back home." What!

We said a prayer, packed everything we could into the trunk(this included several cameras, a spotting scope, shoes,etc) then crossed the busy highway and waited for an angel.

A semi-truck rolled by us and several cars, then a car stopped.
Joe walked to the drivers window and explained the situation. The man agreed to drive us back to our campsite at Mora campground. We couldn't believe our luck.

We asked him where he lived. He lived in Forks. He asked us how long we'd been married. I said forever...Joe gave the exact years. He had been married for over forty years. We all agreed we had been blessed.
He used to own a lumber mill but during the controversy about saving the spotted owl had to close the mill and let all his workers go.
I was always for the spotted owl but hearing his story showed me how difficult a decision this would be for the opposing side.
You learn a lot about a person in 20 miles.
He mentioned his religion several times and how happy he was that his four daughters were religious.
He refused to take any payment for his help and drove us right to the door of our motor-home.
We were very fortunate to meet such a good man, generous of heart and spirit.
As he was leaving I asked his name and gave him ours. I told him if he was ever at St. James Cathedral in Seattle to stop by, and after the 10:00 service , we would take him out to lunch. He smiled and drove away.
I wrote his name down in hopes of finding his address on-line.
I found the address of the City of Forks and his name listed as a member of the Civil Service Commission. I sent a thankyou note.
Dave Robinson is a very kind man.

1 comment: