Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Growing up at the Pike Place Market


Near our storeroom was a Greek Cafe. The owners had a son about my age. My friendliness frightened this fragile fellow. He was apparently avoiding girls and avoided me at all times. He ran to his mother for protection.

One young farmer in the market had very sensuous eye. I was a little afraid of him so much so that I almost ran to the Greek Cafe.

I had a date with a young Italian farmer named Tony. He was nice but there was no chemistry. During our date Tony got a ticket for making an illegal u-turn, so it ended on a sour note. We remained friends.

One of the butchers working at Dan's Market asked me out to dinner. Instead he took me to a ballgame. This would've been fine except I had to climb up to the bleachers in high heels. No chemistry on my part but he had other ideas. By this time I had been dating Joe and had no interest in anyone else.
He began this dramatic attempt to interest me by having a woman come around and pretend that they had eloped. He was totally weird. He followed me to the back room and declared his love. He warned me about dating a serviceman. He then fessed up about his fake wife.
I told him I didn't love him. He wanted me to kiss him so I'd be sure I didn't love him. I told them I was very sure and to please go away.

I was so happy to see Joe. I knew how lucky I was to have met such a good man.

Before I met Joe, Barbara and I went on a friendly date with two army buddies. Gloria suggested we stay at her apartment as it was close to town and would eliminate the long drive home. I was hesitant as he was married. They assured me that it was just a friendly date. He was very nice, extremely good-looking and loved his wife. After dinner we were at Gloria's apartment. He began kissing me and being only human I kissed him. We were on Gloria's chaise lounge, he climbed on top of me. I moved away. He asked why, I told him it was not a nice thing to do. He said, "Good girl". Shortly after that he left. but phoned the next day for a date. Thanks, but no thanks.
As I said before I was lucky to find Joe.

No comments:

Post a Comment