Saturday, March 10, 2012

A Flood of Memories.........



Before flood control it was a yearly occurrence....waiting to see if the flood waters would reach our property.
Aunt Blanche and Uncle Bud lived near the East Valley Highway. If the flood waters came, they would have to elevate their furniture and move out until the waters receded.  I remember seeing photos of people standing on their roofs waiting to be rescued.
Our home was on the edge of the flood area so we would move everything of value out of the basement. 

As a child it was fun. Uncle Bud would let us use his boat to row around our property.
We  were allowed to miss school. This made me feel a little guilty as we could have walked a different route, through neighbors farm land, to reach  St. Anthony School.
One year the floods came at Christmas time and many gifts were lost.  Renton decided to help out by giving each child a $10.00 gift certificate.  I vividly remember going to the store with our mother to make our choices.
Barbara bought a huge Teddy Bear.  Judy and I both chose a toy chest and rocking chair. I still have both.

I found this photo of a train moving through the flood waters in my scrapbook.

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite houses was one subject to floods every year. I was only three, so it all seemed a lot more fun than it did to my parents. We moved after a year to a boring flood-free house a block or two away. That was exciting about the $10 gift replacement money. But awful about the gifts.

    ReplyDelete