Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Stranger You feed Is Not Always Jesus

In the early days, it was not uncommon for men who rode the rails to stop by a farm house for a meal.
In fact, I remember my mom feeding a stranger. She did not allow him into the house but  fixed  him a meal.
It was said that the travelers would put stakes into the ground that gave directions  to the homes that were good for a meal.

When my Grandparents moved to the United States from Italy, they lived in Black Diamond. Nonno worked in the coal mine.  Nonna worked at home taking care of the children, probably had a garden.
From an early age I remember the family story about Nonna feeding a meal to a man who was hungry.To show his appreciation, he gave her a lovely handkerchief.
 Later, while reading a  newspaper article about a killer  who escaped from the Oregon State Penitentiary in Salem, Nonna realized that this was the  man she had fed.
 His name was Harry Tracy. This was in 1902.
He had murdered three guards and went on a rampage.
He seemed to have two sides to his personality but the evil one won out.

There are many stories about Harry Tracy. I'm grateful that the one involving Nonna had a happy ending.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm glad your Nonna was loving and kind, snd didn't annoy that terrible man. There might have been no you, and that would have been a personal disaster for me! Not to speak of the disaster it would have been for your dear family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks for your sweet comment. I am however, laughing.

    ReplyDelete