Friday, February 8, 2013

Teenage Letter from 1952

This is one of the letters I wrote to a pen pal in 1952
What was I thinking?

Richard!
False One! You have deceived me. You promised me the secret ring and now, I can't go on...........
Believe me, I was not flattering you- you're everything I said and more, but enough of that.
Leave it alone.

I'm so excited. I just gave myself an aptitude test in literary ability. I passed with flying colors.
Now I am eligible to take a course in writing. Wow! Now all I have to do is send in a check for $150
to the Magazine Institute. All this because I'm so gifted.

So far, I can't quite believe this letter.I'd tear it up and start another one if I thought it would be better.
Please bear with me.
Guess what? My Dad just came  and took the pen away from me. I don't understand it. Just because
he happens to own it. And now I have struck a new low in the field of letter writing. (two shades of ink and pencil) How humiliating. What would Emily say?
  Run into any more stray Turks?  We had our share of that sort of thing last summer. When the Spanish Navy was here in Seattle they decided to buy eggs from our store in Pike Place Market. ( Excuse me, I mean huevos) Of course it took us about two hours to figure this out. This went on for 3 or 4 months. What fun! Then when it was time for them to sail away, one of the sailors asked my sister Barbara a question, and she answered "yes". It turned out he had asked her if she loved him. (wait, it gets better) If that wasn't enough he and another friend wanted Barbara and me too sail away to Mexico. Just for kicks. I really don't know
how we got out of that one.

Saw "South Pacific" the other night. Wasn't impressed.

 Danny Kaye is bringing a show here in a week or so. I think I'll see it. I feel like a good laugh.
    All I can say at the end of this letter is....Such humor! Such intelligence! Such Crust!


                                                        That's all for now
                                                         Funny one,
                                                         Marty


2 comments:

  1. This is hilarious! You should write a book. I felt like a good laugh, and got one - an out loud laugh. See you Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I may post another letter in a few days.

    ReplyDelete