Sunday, May 12, 2013

Father Tom Shares his gift for Mother's Day..

Whenever the women choristers have a day off at St. James, Joe & I attend mass at St. Stephen the Martyr
church, which is located about five minutes from our home. St. Stephen has many fine qualities...music is not a high point for me. Before we left the house I asked Joe to join me in a prayer so I would not act petty because of my dislike of the music.

Father Tom to the rescue.  He decided to do a homily  for Mother's Day.  When he was attending a conference at Notre Dame in Indiana, he attended a mass for new students. One of the hymns they sang brought him to tears. He said he didn't know why but it just did. It was a hymn to Mary. I recognized the melody but words were new to me.
He then began to give his homily by singing the hymn. He would sing one verse then talk about the life of Mary. He would then move on to the next verse and do the same. There were three verses and three talks.
It could have been a disaster, instead it was inspirational. His voice was not showy, just mellow and beautiful.

He managed to work in the Ascension and  all the trials Mary experienced as the Mother of Christ.

His full name is Father Thomas Vandenberg.
Thanks Father Tom.



2 comments:

  1. That is a sweet story! I'm glad you conquered your more critical self. I seldom am able to do that. I just carry snidely on. The music at St. James was super beautiful, so I didn't have that problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry I missed it but did enjoy St.S.
    Thanks for the comment. I have been so lonesome in that dept.
    As far as Facebook, Liz thinks I'm not doing it in the correct fashion. I never get a like. Boohoo.

    ReplyDelete