Tuesday, May 21, 2013

I Love Deer

 Deer are  beautiful creatures. A deer sighting is one of natures many gifts.
The gift that keeps on taking. It is interesting to see which plants they ignore and which they devour.
After watching a special on deer on PBS I learned a few facts that were new to me.
When deer are laying down...they are usually not resting but digesting their food
.
They have very little vision. so when they look at you they probably heard you move a muscle.
Today I tried to take a photo (not that I need one) and as soon as I moved my eyelid they scurried away.
That may be a slight exaggeration, but only slight.
I thought I had a good shot  but Joe didn't agree. Boo, Joe. I do respect his opinion but if I didn't already have an over abundance of deer photos, I would post it anyway.
The young male was probably a yearling with velvets about 3 or 4 inches long. The mother was huskier but
about the same height and was apparently still nursing. I had to get out the binoculars to see this.

I repeat. I love deer!

2 comments:

  1. I'm rather fond of rats too, but they don't have the popular appeal that deer do. But they have soft fur, sweet eyes, little twitchy whiskers, dainty paws, and if you ever knew one personally, you would know that they also have kind natures. People will probably be more sympathetic to your deer love than my rat love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you say so it must be true.

    ReplyDelete