Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Writing Class Journal 1989......Hobbies

A hobby is a pastime that a person loves but is unable to use  to make a living.
Wouldn't you rather be a photographer than a sheet metal worker? I'd rather have a job in music instead of doing housework, but this is a practical world and only a few have jobs that they love.
 A hobby may also be a diversion from your troubles, an escape, I suppose.
Stamp collecting has never appealed to me for any length of time, or coin collecting.
Gardening is a great hobby because it has more than one redeeming quality. Usually, you can be alone in the garden because no one wants to help weed or plant.I love to think and breathe in the garden. The work is difficult and tedious but the sights and sounds make it such a pleasure. Birds will fly into the garden and if you keep on weeding, they will dig for worms and snoop around leaves, looking for something to eat or fragments for nesting. One day while I was throwing vegetable scraps in the compost pile, I was hit by a corn cob that a squirrel was carrying off to its nest.
The new life seen in a seed is exciting. the sunflower is amazing..you can almost watch it grow.
Gardening is one of my favorite hobbies and now is becoming a necessity because of all the poison used on crops. So, organic we go.
Flowers feed your soul. The first trillium is a thrill. Flowers that multiply are one of the reasons you fight the loathsome weeds.
The beautiful weather brings out the gardener in me. I love to feel the earth  and crumble it in my hands.

Music is more than a hobby, this is why I haven't mentioned it. The Lord usually has a  plan.  I am trying to think of a ministry that won't interfere with my time with Joe.

3 comments:

  1. Am I the only one who finds it curious that you write of trying to think of a ministry at a time when you'd been singing in church for years?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered about that myself. I think I needed to both give and receive to feel good about it. St. James does this for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could get into the Zen of gardening. I just go outside and suffer. And then feel guilty that I have been such a neglectful guardian of my little plot of earth.

    ReplyDelete