Wednesday, March 12, 2014

It's Only a matter of Time

Liz posted a photo of a trillium she saw on her walk.
I decided to check out our property for the same. The trilliums are just breaking out of the earth which means that it won't be long before the deer return.
Maybe we'll be lucky enough to see a few fawn. 
The deer, of course, wreak havoc on certain tasty plants. This includes trilliums. Last year they missed a few. I'm hoping for the same scenario this year.

As a child, I was taught never to pick a trillium, as it would take many years for it to again flower.
This may or may not be true. I remember being shocked when Uncle Pete came home with an armload of trilliums. apparently, he had not heard the rule!
                                          I'm waiting.

2 comments:

  1. Those pesky monsters would just gobble up a trillium and give it no thought whatever. I recall photos of them (trillium, not deer,) in my religion book as representations of the Trinity, and ever after I thought them somehow sacred, and was thrilled whenever I found one. I would't have dreamt of picking one. Shocking thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My uncle was a good man but had no idea of the meaning.

    ReplyDelete