Monday, February 9, 2015

Expect the unexpected!

We were attending a luncheon to celebrate the 45th. anniversary of my  friend and classmate, Loretta Orpilla.
We attended Immaculate High School and have kept in touch.
She had her wedding party (all who were still living) including altar boy, flower girl and ring bearer, and of course, her husband, Carlos.
I wondered why I was invited then remembered that I sang for the wedding.
It was scheduled for 12:00 p.m. at Basil Café in Embassy Suites. This is located on West Valley Highway and not too far from our home.

It was 11:00 a.m. at communion time. I was getting nervous so  decided to exit. I placed  my choir book under my arm,
received the Eucharist and left. I put my robe away and hurried out to meet Joe. We walked over to the parking garage feeling good. Joe wiggled out of the parking place and headed down to the next level. As we continued to exit the garage a car backed out and crashed into the side of the truck!
We spoke to him, he gave us his card and asked us to call later in the evening because of a prior engagement.
Again we were on our way hoping we would arrive on time.
On time?  After all that, we arrived  at 11:30a.m.. The place was closed until noon!

We went into the Embassy Suites, sat down, waited until I recognized one of Loretta's cousins, Ben Laigo. I had never met him, but there was enough of a family resemblance that I was comfortable asking if he was there for Loretta & Carlos.

Loretta is from a fantastic family, loving, Intelligent, interesting and fun.
 It was a pleasure to spend a few hours with them.

Loretta is caring for a brother who is living with severe developmental problems. He is interesting to
watch, loves to eat food  and  drink coffee.  He kept staring at me and I wanted to know what he was thinking.  Loretta is waiting for his caregiver to return. In the meantime she is taking care of all his needs.  I call her Saint Loretta.

All in all it was a fun day. Good friends, good food, what more  does a person need.

P.S. They kept asking me to sing. ( no piano, no sheet music to follow, yikes)  I decided to give it a try. I sang Anniversary Waltz. Ben helped me with the words.
I guess it was OK. when I was finished, Carlos yelled out, "Martha, you still got it".

Another out of body experience!





2 comments:

  1. Your poor truck!!! Was it seriously injured? It sounds like neither you or Joe were. Your party sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember this. Joe still blames me even though he was the driver!

    ReplyDelete