Thursday, December 16, 2010

Christmas Memories ..The Caroleers 1987

It was a wonderful experience singing with the "Caroleers".
  We rode on a special bus that  stopped at many hospitals in Seattle and surrounding areas.   Many of the vocalists had been doing this since 1960. Quite a few also sang with Seattle Symphony Chorale.  One of the sopranos was a bit of a  diva and had an unpleasant speaking voice, but when she sang it was angelic.

We performed for many hospitals, homes and schools, including Children Orthopedic, Swedish, Providence,  Virginia Mason, Doctors, to name a few and also at South Center Mall and Gilman Village.


I remember singing carols  to children with shaven heads. I felt we were getting in the way,   but the nurses were very appreciative and assured us that the children loved the music.

One year my dad was in the hospital during the Christmas holidays.  I asked if we could go to his room and sing. My sister Judy was in the room with him. The music brought tears to her eyes.
Dad seemed very happy to see me and  hear the singing.

I will always be grateful that I had the opportunity to sing for my Dad.

As I remember it he passed away on December 29 1987.

2 comments:

  1. That is a wonderful memory! I feel as though I saw you all at one of the hospitals where I worked, either Providence or VM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just noticed your comment. Only 5 years late.

    ReplyDelete