Thursday, December 16, 2010

Groove for Thought




Joe and I  were watching the "Sing- off"  on TV.   We listened to a jazz group called "Groove for Thought" .
 We were interested since  the vocalists were  music teachers from Seattle.
Actually, I know at least one is from Renton. His name is Kelly Kunz. His daughter Amanda was also in the group. Photo of Mrs. Kelly Kunz ( also named Kelly and daughter Amanda)
When I went  back to College I signed up for regular classes plus Music Theory and a choral group.
A new teacher, Roger Treese, changed choral to Jazz. I told him I was not a jazz singer but he persuaded me to give it a try and I loved it.
When he moved on, Kelly Kunz was head of music. He was a serious musician, an accomplished bassist and he wanted a great jazz group. At HCC the group was all women. (see photo) I had to audition 3 times before he allowed me to be part of the mix. I had to prove I could sing without vibrato and agree to sing alto.
When he moved to Pierce College I decided to stay with him. 
We were very lucky to have a professional musical trio accompany us when we performed. It was a lot of work and great fun. The young people tolerated having an older woman in the group.  The group was called Farwest Jazz.

I can't honestly say that I immediately recognized Kelly.
My friend John Burton called  to ask if I'd seen Kelly and his daughter on "Sing-Off".
I went online to watch  and there he was...it brought back memories of this older woman singing with a group of much younger women at HCC then following the director (I stalked him)  to Pierce CC where we had a much better group including male voices.I don't have a photo of the group but the two young women in photos were in group.
A great way to learn music.

No comments:

Post a Comment