Saturday, February 19, 2011

EXPERIENCE....A MOSAIC OF MANY COLORS

I was asked by my friend John Burton, co-director of music at St. Stephen Martyr Church to sing with his group for a special mass with Archbishop Sartain. St. Stephen was asked to be the host for the South King Deanery.
Not many people showed up for practice. It was apparent that help was needed.
I mentioned to John that Joanne Deacy was a great soprano. He asked if I would to try to recruit her for the mass. Joanne and I are used to a different type of choir but after I explained the situation to her, she agreed to help out.  Joanne worked overtime on Thursday so she would be on time for practice at 5:30.
This was a true act of kindness on her part.

Before mass, Marijean led the prayer and thanked those who came from other parishes. Then, someone said,
"What about thanking Martha."  Bernie answered (with a smile on his handsome face) " Martha's a re-tread."

The alto section had only two women while the soprano section had eight including Joanne and me.
I sang alto on two hymns and soprano on the rest.
After a less than impressive practice, the men actually sounded good. Nice blend.
 Joanne did a great job, especially since she had very little practice and most of the  music was new to her.
John deserves credit for his direction. He had no idea who would be there. This is always a disadvantage.  
He handled it well and told the choir to relax and enjoy the service.


The assembly was very responsive.  My  husband (always honest) said it was the best he'd heard at St. Stephen, so I guess it was OK.
The next day I asked Joanne if she was still speaking to me . "It was a different kind of fun." she answered.
I agree.

Archbishop Sartain  gave a homily which was well received. I could see people smiling while he spoke (this included my husband Joe, who has trouble staying awake during most homilies).
The Archbishop was situated near the choir. I enjoyed listening to him and actually seeing the expressions on his face as he spoke the words that seemed to be from his heart. and soul.

The Archbishop made a special request to meet each person after mass. We were in line for quite a while. During this time I was approached by several who remembered me from my  days at St. Anthony,  Kent, St. Stephen the Martyr, and St. Anthony, Renton.
 

My past caught up to me when a woman remembered me from H.C.C ( I returned to school in 1989).  She said," I remember you Martha, your number was "Lush Life."
Her husband was in the H.C.C. band led by Ed Fish.

 It was  fun except for one encounter that I should forget.

This involves a woman  standing behind us in line.  She said she was disappointed that I hadn't sung a solo.  I told her it didn't work that way.  Then she mentioned the music at St. James, another plus, then she started on barrage of comments about how she hated the fact that we all wore robes. " "Too much pomp and ceremony, too much pomp and circumstance.  You're like the Knights of Columbus wearing all that stuff."
I can't recall whether she said pomp and circumstance or pomp and ceremony but you get the idea.

I can handle if someone insults me, in fact I rather enjoy it, but if you insult a friend, I'll fight you. I guess in this case the robe was my friend. I explained to her that it was a matter of humility, being unified in our dress etc.  She continued... "Too much pomp and circumstance".   Joe told me later that my face was so red he thought I was going to blow up.

I was disappointed in myself for letting her get to me. After all, she has a right to her opinion.
Another experience from which to learn.

When we reached the Archbishop he asked our parish. When we said St. James Cathedral Parish, Joe mentioned that I was a chorister at St. James.  Archbishop Sartain  commented that our choir is always excellent.
It was certainly worth the wait.
We didn't have our camera with us so I'm posting the card we received.

2 comments:

  1. Poor Martha! That sounds like a sort of unfun day, on the whole.

    I would have fit right in with that choir!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We could have used your help.
    It was more fun than agony. I saw a lot of old friends and that is always a joy.

    ReplyDelete