Monday, September 23, 2013

St. James... Treats or Mistreats

Whenever I cook for family or friends I take notes on what worked & what didn't.
My most beautiful creation the Fabulous Plum Cake was kind of a flop. The taste was good, it looked great until it was cut....then it was a crumbling  mess. My first thought was knife not sharp enough.
 My second thought was the fact that they had been in the freezer for a few days but I don't think that would do it.
My final decision is that the nectarines were not ripe. And so, I mention this on the recipe for next time.

The Onion/ Veggie Tart was another disaster...but all was eaten so can't sweat that one.
I already took notes on the Tart. It was the crust...I have no idea what I did wrong but it took me 30 minutes to get the tart out of the pan and most of the crust was lost. So, a tasty but soggy dish.
I have a few photos. I should have taken a photo of the failures but I am too proud!
The Turkish Delights that Nick brought back from his trip to Turkey were quite a hit. So thoughtful of him to think of the choir.  I'm enjoying his coffee as well. He gave me a bottle to take home. Notice the boxes under the table. so classy.
Glen loves to have each person have food of their heritage. So, in order to obey his wish....there was a taste of Italy in every dish.  I'm sure Turkey was once part of the Roman Empire...Close enough!

           

                                         Before the Crumble

                                             Delightful Delights!
                                       Pasta Salad....( kind of obvious)

3 comments:

  1. It was all exquisitely beautiful! The pasta salad was the best I ever tasted! And so were the tarts - absolutely delicious, and, I thought, quite pretty! You are too harsh a judge. No pie or tart looks great once folks have started gobbling it up. Well - the salad still did, but I mean pastry like things. It was all super, super yummy. I do not plan to bring treats from my family heritage - cabbage and potatoes probably would not be a great hit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love cabbage and potatoes.
      Thanks for all the compliments. I still have a little bit of salad. I'll have it tomorrow. I have to remove the olives for Mr. Picky.
      I thought the salad was good also. Now, if I can just remember what I did to make it good.

      Delete
  2. How can anyone not love olives? Weird!

    ReplyDelete