Friday, April 1, 2011

Mt. St. Helen' Volcano Victims "Celebration of Life" May 31 1980

On Saturday May 17, Day Karr took his two sons Day Andrew, and Michael Murray on a camping trip to one of their favorite campsites about 5 miles from Mt. St. Helens.  May 18 the mountain erupted.


Barbara Karr a teacher and mother of the two boys, planned the service for May 31.

When I heard her plans I asked Father Stevens why I was needed. He said, "I need you to keep some semblance of order".

Before the service:

Miracle of Life
You knew me before I was born
Irish Blessing
I am the Resurrection.

Classmates of the children sang "Rainbow Connection" with guitar.

During the  Communion  and  Meditation  recordings were played..One was the sound of whales ,as one of the children loved whales.

The church was completely filled with friends and family.

I was honored  to be part of this celebration of life.

1 comment:

  1. That is a very sad story. I remember that day well. Somehow I was thinking than no one was killed except an eccentric old man who wouldn't leave. I'm sure that the funeral was made even more meaningful with you singing. And that card about Martha the beatitude is perfect.

    ReplyDelete