Monday, March 11, 2013

Last letter for a while...Tax Time

   11/28/52
Dear Richard
  
Thank you very much for the leaf. I was thrilled. Really though, anytime you have any old leaves around that you don't want, just forward them to me. I go wild over leaves.  Seriously, it was very thoughtful of you. With all the wonderful sights to see in D.C. it is  a wonder you had time to think of me. Sounds silly, but you know what I mean.
     Enough of that. While we're so close to the White House I'll tell you my political leanings. I am not old enough to vote but I still have my views. I am for the individual and not the party. This election I would've been almost entirely Republican. I firmly believed that a change was absolutely necessary. I really think Robert A. Taft would've been one of the great Presidents. He was not popular , no appeal, and never won the nomination. Still, the Taft Hartley law though misunderstood is a great law for the laboring class.
No doubt you disagree with me. Oh, well, it was fun while it lasted.
 If you liked Truman, don't write  to me anymore. Ha! Ha! what am I laughing at? One more thing. I believe it would have been morally wrong to elect Stevenson President.    2013 ( I wonder why?)
Amen!
       Saw a lousy musical last night or rather I should say a poor interpretation of a good musical. It was the road show of "Oklahoma". We left the show early. I had already wasted money on tickets, why waste my time as well.
     This is a little off the subject of analysis but here goes. To me, there is only one way of dressing that can be called well dressed.  Follow? I didn't think so but I'm not easily discouraged so I'll continue.
This is a combination of neatness and good taste. By this I mean not mixing plaids and tweeds, checks and
plaids- stripes and- oh you know what I mean. also, when to wear what, and what to wear where. colors that go together etc. One of my pet peeves is women with slacks and fur coats- anklets and heels, rhinestones in day time- earrings with slacks etc. I hate slacks anyway.  Of course I wear jeans to work all winter and peddle pushers all summer, but I'm an exception. There is only one garb for the Public Market and that's it. Right now I'm wearing so many clothes, because of the cold weather, that I'm just waddling around.
     Forgive me for keeping you so long but sometimes I get so wound up and windy.

                                                                                                              Hysterically Yours,
                                                                                                                  Marty






2 comments:

  1. What a cute thing you were in your pedal pushers. I was a great one for them, and actually pushed pedals in them, as I uses my a bike a lot to get around in my teens. And my twenties, thirties, etc. Not so much lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom, these letters are hysterical. Seriously, you were a very good pen pal, albeit overly flirty given that you and dad would marry in only two years after you wrote these!!! I'll assume you had not yet met my sainted father when these were posted.

    ReplyDelete